Since this is a perfect time to remind users of best cyber security practices, we’ve asked Bill Carey, VP of marketing at Siber Systems, the maker of the RoboForm password manager, to provide our readers with some tips.
Here are the top 10 cyber security awareness tips shared by the expert:
1. Regularly update software to eliminate security weaknesses. Windows, Macs, and all browsers regularly provide free software updates; take advantage of this to close security loopholes.
2. When you’re done with using a website, log off and close your browser. This will prevent others from gaining access to your account.
3. Create passwords with combinations of upper and lowercase letters, numbers and special characters.
4. Don’t use personal information in your password, such as your name, your partner’s name, your child’s name, your occupation, telephone number, birth date, etc.
5. Small businesses have to hold their employees accountable for their security. Employees must adopt safe security habits to keep their information and the company’s information protected. Consider putting a formal cyber-security policy into effect.
6. Make sure that you use a PIN or #password on your mobile phone.
7. Use the ‘Keystroke’ method for making passwords. Choose a password and create a keyboard mapping system. One key to the left and one up would make the password “tinmen” change to “47gh2g.”
8. Disable pictures on your email and read it in plain text. The sender will not be able to identify if you’ve opened the email.
9. Don’t keep a record or list of your passwords in unencrypted files on your computer or phone.
10. Have a disposable e-mail address. Only give your actual e-mail address out to people who need it. This will avoid mass spam and keep your inbox clean.